Sunday, February 17, 2008

Doodling 'round

I've worked up two pieces so far where I am trying to create a palette, so to speak, of discrete line drawn images to use as elements within a composition. 

For my exercise I have collected dozens of random doodles that I find within the note pages from when I am working by telephone or am in a long meeting. The doodles are interesting to me not because I think they are good drawings or are art per se, but because they are created mostly by the subconcious mind with very little active attention. The images seem to appear of their own accord and I wonder where they come from the same as I wonder at a strange dream. Indeed I find the images that I am producing from these are rather dream -like. I chose to use an oval shape for this composition which is like a mandala.

For a time Carl Jung would literally lock himself in his basement in the evening where he wished to be undisturbed so that he could paint mandala images. I don't believe anyone ever saw these mandala paintings.  Perhaps he only needed a doodling pad by his telephone. Or perhaps he preferred the basement to his wives company.
    

No comments: